Position: Print Copyeditor
Treatment: 1099 Independent Contractor
Time: Flexible, but we are looking for mostly day availability
We produce finished pages for newspapers around the U.S. on hard deadlines every day in a virtual newsroom that uses a browser-based CMS, InDesign CS4, Adobe PDFs and Google documents, as well as basic in-house systems. Our staff is far-flung, but Skype and Gmail allow us to banter and interact like a well-seasoned copy desk, so continual, reliable access to the internet is required. We are hiring both for Print and Digital Copyeditors.
We are seeking: A tech-savvy self-starter looking to work as part of a team of writers, editors and page designers. You will edit stories using AP Style and format data and coordinate with editors. Our content is basic and similar in tone week to week; you will edit for style, grammar, spelling and some fact-checking. Previous newspaper experience is a MUST, daily newspaper experience is preferred.
Applicants who do not meet ALL the following requirements WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED. Please indicate in your email that you meet each one:
- You have AP style experience
- You never miss a deadline and can’t imagine a world in which anyone would.
- You overcome obstacles, multi-task and handle first-line troubleshooting.
- You can manage your time and follow deadline schedules to prioritize tasks.
- You own and can efficiently use InDesign CS4 or newer
If you meet these qualifications and are interested, please:
1) Send us your resume -
2) In the subject of the email, include "258139" and "Print Copyeditor”
3) Indicate what copy of InDesign you own -- applicants who don't own InDesign CS4 or newer WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED
4) Attach three published writing samples
5) Indicate the days and times you’d be available and willing to work and the day you’d be able to start